20151108

HUMAN RIGHTS + TRANS-GENDERISM

Some little while back I got 'UN-FRIENDED' by a Jozi trans-gender activist. I

consider myself a humanist, with all the flaws this implies. I was accused of 

being an old-fashioned (1970's) feminist that did not understand the travails 

of those folk who do not neatly fit into society's ideas of gender stereotyping.

The plaint of the trans-gender community is that no-one understands their 

plight & that they are a put-upon minority with no rights. When it was pointed 

out that we, in South Africa, enjoy, through our Constitution, Universal HUMAN 

Rights,  that this protected us all, I was roundly shot down by said activist's 

followers. 


I had the sad experience, in that bygone era of the 1970's of meeting S.A.'s first 

trans-gender person. It was at a party in Pretoria & this attractive young 'woman'

was doing a strip. The men stood around her essentially leering + jeering. She 

was a curiosity, a side-show. I chatted to her, felt empathetic but confused as to 

why anyone would put themselves through such operations.


In those days PERHAPS the sex re-assignment procedures where more 

primitive, but are they that much less brutal now? Maybe for the lucky few who 

can afford top class surgery.  Hormone therapy, too, is an inexact + fraught 

experience - too much, too little.........


The issue is far deeper than painful procedures - it is at  heart how humans are 

perceived in the continuum of our sexual being. In NATURE we are each some-

where on the line from the ultimate female to the ultimate male. In NURTURE it 

is even more complex. Gender stereotyping dogs us all. I, as a girl who was "the 

only female who knows her left from her right" according to my Dad, could think 

like a man! Engineering or something similar lay in my future. I did however love 

'female' pursuits; fashion, ballet, baking, decorating............As I hit adolescence I 

had no gender confusion but I wanted a career & possibly one in a male 

purview. I became more + more feminist.

Now trans-genderism is NOT mere sexual confusion it is real. The question is do 

people need to go through gender  re-assignment?  Are we in Western society 

NOT sophisticated enough to accept that some 'females' want to do + be 'male' 

visa-versa.

I, a longtime admirer of Germaine Greer, agree with her, no amount of surgery +

steroids is going to make you what you are not. It is cruel to think it can. As 

Greer is at pains to point out she does NOT deny anyone that option but to 

what end?

No comments:

Post a Comment