20160605

ICE-CREAM 4 - MAKING IT

SOFT-SERV, without an 'E', would simply no longer cut it. That soapy commercial

stuff - no!

I remember a few great Italian Gelaterias out there. PAPAGALLO in 'Little Italy' 

(a.k.a. Orange Grove) was a go to for a cone.  Others came + went. There was 

simply no icecream culture in S.A. - after all this is not Italy............

I designed some super edgy icecream parlours only to discover that Italian 

icecream was REALLY Italian. It was an imported powder to which cream and/or 

milk was added. 

A well-known brand, sold by the tub, manufactured anything from the most

mundane, with the name of an educational institution we have all spent time in, 

to high-end stuff. The high-end stuff, Scandanavian-sounding, opened 

a small outlet that sold scoops in SUGAR CONES - at last. lt was creamy, dreamy......

then it too disappeared.

Better to make my own. First a palaver of semi-freezing & beating several times. 

Then a machine with a paddle in the freezer, the electric cord stopping the 

door from closing? I even tried an old -fashioned wooden churn, ice kept from 

melting with what seemed a mine of salt. Not romantic, good for the pectorals

though.

I made delicious (if l say so myself*) icecream in sophisticated flavours. 
MAKING DEEP DARK DOUBLE
CHOCOLATE

A friend had a machine that churned & froze at

the same time. I still use such machines to make

my icecream........

* A WHOLE OTHER TALE


    



ADDING THE MILK














No comments:

Post a Comment