20140307

A-WAY WITH WORDS



Well I love WORDS: talking, squabbling, arguing, writing, flinging, playing with, their

etymology, their precise meaning, reading.

I have an aversion to cliche, jargon, dissembling & lies.

I am bemused by Legalese but have used it to my own ends, notwithstanding 

heretofore.

Words have fashions - like 'MEMES' - a fashionable word, to whit a meme.

If I don another of my hats, COOK, there are some words that are used by Celebrity

Chefs &  Food Journalists that drive me crazy.

Food 'Writers' just love VEG/VEGES/VEGGIES. What are these? They sound like

the things Mother says are good for you? Are they some kind of VEGETABLE?

Next on my short list is THINK. This is a good thing to do in general. When used 

to describe the newest Deli/Restaurant/Coffee Bar /Menu in terms like: 'THINK

felafal drizzled with honeyed yogurt dressing & scattered with toasted pineapple 

skin shards' or 'THINK  yummy (another problem word) pudding (another) of

condensed milk icecream with basil dust' or some dish trendily bizarre well.........

........THINK.

Spare me FAVE (so adolescent) & RAD ( last heard circa 1970 in the Wits

University canteen).

A famous, tall + sexy celebrity chef - initials G.R. 'WOWS' us. What happened to 

the 'F' word?

The one that drives me the most mad, the one I first heard way back in the days 

of early Television Chefs, the one used in such mannered sexiness by Ainsley

Harriot, is POP! He kept 'POPPING'  things into bowls & fridges & colanders &

ovens & onto tables & plates & into mouths. All this time later it is still current. What 

happened, to equally monosyllabic verbs like PLACE or PUT or DISH or SET 

or PLOP?

No comments:

Post a Comment