20140507

STRONG MEAT

                                                                                                                   

It could be said that I am a 'meat + potatoes' 'girl'. This in spite of loving to prepare 

& eat vegetables, to at times being almost vegetarian. 

It seems I discovered sex + food at the same time. Not 'real' sex - just adolescent 

fiddling.

At twelve I fell in love with minced beef balls + rice + a famous brand of tomato 

sauce. This all mashed together. I could not get enough of it. Then there was always 

steak + chips. The steak was most likely wellish done. There were a few times that 

we visited a family friend that was like us, Jewish but un-observant. The man prepared 

for us (oh sin of sins! ) thick fillets of beef in butter. It was heavenly........................

After leaving school  I became a restaurant habitue. Steak went from medium via 

medium-rare to rare & then I discovered 'bleue' -just seared on the outside practically 

raw inside.

My sexual + gastronomic education continued apace - I had Steak Tartare ( see           

Wikipedia) - RAW MEAT! I ate it with trepidation & found it surprisingly like........

well steak.

Then Carpaccio-those paper thin slices of raw meat - became the rage. The first time 

I served it to paying guests, to a lot of tough manly men who preferred their meat 'well-

done', they went mad for it.

It was difficult to slice but I discovered frozen slices, with a fine line of fat, @ the

Chinese provender. These I served for years in many variations. By then all kinds 

could be found from okapi to ostrich. It was  becoming ho-hum, ennui was setting in.

I predicted that Steak Tartare would make a comeback & now it has!

Here is my recipe.

STEAK TARTARE-THE ASIAN VERSION
serves 6 as a Main Course

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 x ghee-made roti
  • ghee - melted
  • 750g x beef (rump/sirloin/topside - tastier  than fillet) - semi frozen
  • 6 x baby leeks
  • sesame oil 
  • sesame seeds - toasted
  • TABASCO sauce (the RED real stuff)
  • good soya sauce
  • freshly ground black pepper / dried papaya seeds / Sichuan pepper
METHOD:
  • brush the roti  with melted ghee
  • cut each roti into 8 x wedges
  • crisp to golden-brown in a 180C oven
  • take a scalpel-sharp knife & cut beef into thin steaks
  • then cut into strips
  • then cut into small cubes
  • slice leeks (green + white parts) into medium rings
  • pile the beef + leeks together
  • sprinkle with sesame oil + soya
  • start chopping mixture
  • add more oil + soya to taste & chop some more
  • add Tabasco + pepper to taste
  • chop until you get the texture you desire
  • mix in  the sesame seeds to taste
  • arrange , chefily, on 6 plates with the roti
  • serve with a fruity + spicy chutni / relish + wasabi
  • I serve  it with a confit of beetroot julienne + sugar + Balsamico + orange juice + orange zest + aniseed
SO WE GET SWEET / SOUR / SALTY / BITTER / UMAMI 

No comments:

Post a Comment